Friday, July 13, 2012

What a Day! An Unexpected Day

Today started off with me thinking that I knew exactly what was going on. WRONG! Well, I went to Daddy's for breakfast and ate with him and William. I knew that he had a doctor's appointment today, so I was ready for that. I came home and showered and started getting ready. I typed on my blog while waiting for my hair to dry and for the appointment time to arrive. I thought I had plenty of time.

 A friend called me with sad news of a friend of ours who had a massive heart attack, and is in a coma in serious condition. Then, the phone kept buzzing in with that awful call waiting thing. It was my brother, but I couldn't answer it. I have never mastered the art of answering a call waiting 'call'. So, I continued talking with my friend. I looked out of the window and sure enough, by daddy and brother had already gone! They left me!

They went mighty early, I thought. The appointment WAS at 11 like I thought, not at 11:30 as Daddy had said this morning at breakfast. Then, I got buzzed in again with call waiting. This time, it was Rachel. I didn't answer it, so she called my cell phone, too.

"I'm at the front door," she says.

So, I tell my friend that I have to go with my dad to the doctor and that they have already left me. We hung up, and I answered the door. There is Rachel and Dora.  Don left this morning to go to Mississippi with his mom to take care of some of his grandfather's things and to attend a church reunion. So, Rachel was coming by for the day. We were also going to try to get to Tampa this weekend, since it is the only weekend Adam is off this month, AND I am going on a trip at the end of the month, AND things are just piling up and piling up, and I cannot get out of town to Tampa. SO, Rachel came in and I tried to brush my still wet hair, I got dressed quickly, and I rushed out to meet Daddy and William at the doctor's office, apologizing profusely to Rachel for leaving her as soon as she got here!!

 We saw the PA, who was really nice. She talked to Daddy and has scheduled some things for him. I think he feels better just from going to the office. When I got home, Susan and Kate were here. We visited a while and then went to Chick Filet for lunch, at the mall. Dewey called us while we were eating and told us that he needed someone to babysit while he goes to the doctor. Apparently, Ellen has gone to Columbia, SC to help her son and his wife move into their new house. He has been stationed at the Army base there as a Drill Sergeant! After three tours to the Middle East, we are all glad that he is stateside for a while!!

Since Dewey really needed us, and we were not really in the mood to shop, we came on home and right away - in came the little ones!! Now, there is me, Rachel, Susan, Kate, and we had the two munchkins with us, and Dora, The house was FULL!! I love a full house, but I surely didn't know that all of this was going to happen today!! 

I have a small box of pictures and things that my cousin gave me that belonged to my Aunt Saramina, so we went through it. This box had a few things in it that my mom had given to Saramina, so William gave us this little box.

We found a treasure for my brother, Dewey. It was a letter that my mamma wrote to her sister, Saramina, when Dewey was born! How about that! I found a treasure like that a couple of years ago when we were visiting my cousins in Clayton, GA. I found a letter my mamma had written to my Daddy's sister, Aunt Bernice, when I was born.

Also in the box, was a Stars and Stripes newspaper article from when I went to Berlin to a Fine Arts Music Festival, when I was in high school. This find was a treasure for me. This festival has always been in my memory, but I surely did not know that this newspaper article was around. My aunt kept so many wonderful, memorable, special things for everyone. There is a need for people to keep things special like that in this world. People today just want to throw out everything and keep nothing. We need to be more like my mamma and aunt's generation and realize that things are special!!

We divided up some pictures of ourselves and had fun reading the letter about Dewey's birth. When Dewey got home to pick up his little ones, I gave him the letter and some pictures of him. The letter described in detail how hard of a labor and delivery she had. She called Dewey a Whopper! He was over 10 pounds, so I guess he was a little whopper! She was so excited and happy to have had a little boy. She had two girls before him, so she must have been surprised!!

Daddy, oh Daddy, where are you? We were all worried about Daddy not feeling well, but he had taken off to the store! He went to Walmart, Sam's, and the BASE. So, he must be feeling a lot better. He has  pep to his step again. Sometimes, just getting to the doctor's office helps. He will have a catscan on Monday, though, to make sure his diverticulitis isn't acting up.

Oh yes, I cannot forget this part. Susan found the letter about Dewey and read it out loud to us. Then, she found a Christmas letter that Mamma wrote one year, and she began reading that out loud. Little Julia wanted us to put a DVD in the tv, and she had been waiting patiently. Finally she walks right up to Susan - right in her face and very politely says, "Aunt Susie. Is your mouth finished talking yet?" HAHAHAHA!! I think that was a nice way to say, "Please be quiet!"

Dewey finally came home and took his little ones home. Rachel decided that she and Dora needed to go home.  Kate left to go out with Kane. Tommy came by and picked up Susan. The house was EMPTY and quiet. Hmmm...What to do, what to do?  I looked outside and saw that Daddy's truck was there, so he was home. I went over there and saw lots of goodies that he had bought. I put up all of his groceries and helped him bring in FOUR ten pound bags of potatoes. Hey, they were only $3.00, he says, so of course he HAD to buy them!  He uses his rolling desk chair to bring heavy things like that in the house, rolling them up his ramp! That wore me out. I am still sick, and that job kind of got me. He also bought four big cans of coffee, carrots, celery, bananas, you name it, he bought it today. He is definitely feeling better about himself this afternoon. He isn't feeling up to normal, but his mindset is MUCH better, and that helps us all tremendously.

So, that was my crazy, daisy, day!!  I wouldn't change it for anything, but it sure was an unexpected day!! Now, I need to try to relax and get to feeling better. Being sick is no fun, especially when it just drags out. I do have my car fixed, I got my student loan situation settled, and now I must start studying. My quarter started Monday, and I haven't done a thing yet! That is a no-no. Hopefully, things are going to settle down within the next few days, and I will be able to calm down and study. I sure did ramble a lot today, but I had to get it out! 

Have a good weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment