Sunday, July 22, 2012

Morning Coffee in the Stillness of the Day

Right now, it is so peaceful, quiet, and calm that I almost don't know what to do with myself!! Ha!
I'm drinking my morning coffee and enjoying the stillness of the morning. I hear the occasional car riding by outside and the roar of the attic fan, but that is all that is going on right now. I like this time of the morning, before the world gets hectic and rambunctious. I can enjoy a cup of coffee and a couple slices of sharp cheddar cheese, before the responsibilities of the day are upon me. Oh my, summer will soon be over and the agonies of work, as well as all other responsibilities, will be quickly over me. Those thoughts, my friends, are for other days. Right now, I'm enjoying the peace and the calm of a nice, summer, Southern Sunday morning. Since I let the newspaper subscription lapse, I do not have that to worry about anymore, either. The news of the day isn't always very appealing or calming, to say the least. With today's world of constant and instant news, the newspaper is outdated before it even arrives at your doorstep (or curb, or yard, or street, as the case may be when you have a lousy delivery person like we've had!).

Yesterday, Rachel and some coworkers gave a baby shower for a young lady with whom I've also worked. Tiffany and Rachel worked together at their first job at a middle school here in town. They both quit that crazy school, and they were lucky enough to get jobs in other schools the next year. Rachel went to work where she is now, and Tiffany went to work at my school. Two years ago, Tiffany transferred to Rachel's present school, and they worked together again, so we have all become good friends. For a while, Tiffany was selling Premier Jewelry, too, and we gave her lots of business!  Tiffany is pregnant now, with a little boy, and she is due in September. She has decided not to go back to work, so she and Rachel will not be seeing each other every day. Some girls at their school hosted a Southern Belle baby shower yesterday at the Tea Room downtown. They all wore big hats, and they had a great time. I was asked to make the cake, and I was happy to do it.

Tiffany's baby theme is sailboats, so I made my first sailboat cake. I googled sailboat cakes, and found a couple of examples. Both sites showed how to make either a square cake or a rectangular cake and cut it into the shapes to use for making a sailboat. I felt like the Cake Boss when I was cutting the cake! On that show, they always make a regular kind of cake, and then they cut it all up and shape it like whatever they are making. So, you can call me the Mini Cake Boss, now!! HA! 

I enjoyed making the cake.  The thing I need to learn, though, is how to get icing to stick to the sides of the cake once it is cut. If you ice a regular cake, you have the 'crust' to ice. When you cut a cake, you have the 'inside' of the cake to ice, and the soft inside doesn't like the icing to stick to it. There must be a trick to this. I iced it, in what they call a crumb coat, and then I iced it again with a final layer. This type of work makes for lots of icing on a cake!! I suppose this is what the professionals do, too, though. They also put fondant on top of the icing. I like regular icing, although I do like to work with fondant, too. Some people do not like the taste of fondant, so I am apprehensive about using it on a whole cake. I did form the mast pole and the flag out of fondant for the sailboat, but the rest was buttercream icing. Rachel cut out a small "K", and we put that on the flag. The baby's name begins with a 'K', although the name is being kept secret. Rachel and Don kept Dora's name a secret, and I think that is just fine. There are always too many people offering too many opinions about names, so I think that keeping the name just between mamma and daddy is a nice thing.

I made white sails and a blue boat. For the port holes, I used the blue and green candy pieces from the candy necklaces that I have. I put swirls of blue on the sails to make it look like the wind and the ocean. Then, I mixed more white icing in with the blue to make a sea foamy color of icing. I piped some waves onto the bottom of the boat, even having some reach up to the top of the bottom of the boat like breaking waves.




Tiffany told Rachel that she liked the cake, so I hope she really did. Oh yes, I also put white foamy, wavy trim around the sails. One of the hostesses asked to have, Ahoy Little Mate, written on the cake. I wrote it on the cake board, and I think it turned out justfine.

I must learn more tricks of the trade, though. I put the cake together before icing it, and it was kind of difficult to get icing down on the inside of the bottom of the cake after that. Oh well, you live and learn. Everything I make is an experiment anyway. I try to make all of my own designs, after looking at samples. I did make an exact copy of  a watermelon cake last week, though, that I found on the Wilton site.

Here are a couple of pictures of Dora with her Great Uncle Dewey, cousin Julia, and cousin Dewey that I took yesterday. They left the beach early Sunday to go to Bible School, so I didn't have pictures of them on the other post about our beach day.




Have a great Sunday!!

1 comment: