Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Summer Birthdays

Two of our summer birthdays have come and gone. John William is now 16, and Lauren is 12. We still have many birthdays to come this summer, so I have lots of baking to do.  Boys being boys, they don't particularly get all interested in cakes, so I made a kind of plain one for John William. I added lots of sour candy on it to keep it interesting!  I made a large square cake with buttercream icing, and then I bought some sour candy called Extremes to use for the 16. The kids introduced me to Sour  Patch Kids a while back, which I kept calling Cabbage Patch Kids, and I love them. Sour candy has always been a favorite of mine, so I am greatly enjoying having it around for "cakes". HA!
After Lauren saw the sour candy, she put in her birthday cake order...A mountain cake with a trail of sour Extreme candy and sour patch soldiers marching down the trail. So, I used my paisley cake pans for the mountain, made light green icing for the grass, and added the sour candy trails and soldiers. I just HAD to add some PINK to the cake, so I made a light pink color for the trim around the layers. Then, I remembered that I had some candy necklaces that I bought a while back to use on some cake pops that were never made. This candy was like sweet tarts, so more sour candy was added to look like little buttons all around the layers. I took the pink icing to the party, just in case some things came loose on the ride to the party, and Lauren put the icing bag to good use. She added 12's and peace signs to the cake, and she added some writing to the cake board. I had piped, Happy Birthday Lauren, on the side that had less 'trails'. Lauren and Rebecca are interested in cake decorating, and I bought them some beginning 'tools' last summer. I also bought them some little tool boxes to use in order to keep their supplies all together.







Rebecca will be 14 in August, and I'm not quite sure yet what to make for her. Julia has ordered a Tangled Cake, so I am going to try to make that for her sixth birthday. Rachel will be THIRTY this August, so I must figure out something really special for her!!  Thomas will be 27, but he is one of those guys that doesn't get all worked up about a cake. Last year, he requested a simple pound cake, so I obliged with that.  Adam will be 28 in September, Labor Day Weekend, but he is in Tampa. It will be hard to get his cake to him, so I will have to make one the next time I see him! His birthday is the last one for the 'summer', since Labor Day usually represents the end of summer and the beginning of fall. I think that is all of them!

Have a great day!

1 comment: