Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Ah...the Dentist!

I got my car all fixed and ready for a road trip, but I am afraid to drive by myself! I guess I will take the train to Tampa. That is the safest way to go, and the least worrisome. My jeep will be ready for me when I get home. Today's trip was to the dentist. A tooth broke off a couple of weeks ago, and I have been putting off going. (I hate the dentist, well not the dentist, the drilling and grinding sounds at the dentist!)
I thought I better get there before I left on my trip. So, he patched up the broken one, and then he found out that another tooth was in worse shape and did a root canal right there before I could say no! Those procedures are expensive, but he said he would work with me on it. Also, he charged me less than usual, I later found out. So, when I get back from my trip, I will go back and have the second half of the root canal done, along with some other repair work. Whew!
Why am I so afraid of the dentist? This problem goes way, way back to my childhood, when I had lots and lots of fillings and things done. I asked my dentist one time why I always had such trouble with my teeth, because I knew that I took care of them. He just shrugged his shoulders and said, "Your teeth just seem to decay easily." What an answer......
Dr. Hester was a kind person and a good dentist, but I had one too many drillings and fillings and drillings and fillings and, well you get the picture. Any dentist I go to has to hear my sob/sad story about my fears. To top it off, I now have to take antibiotics beforehand, due to a little heart condition. Imagine taking four big, 500mg amoxicillin pills one right after the other an hour before each appointment...even to have your teeth cleaned!! They say it is more important when your teeth are cleaned, because more bacteria can loosen up during that activity.
Crazy, crazy, crazy......Just one more silly adventure in this saga that is my life!! HA!
So I say, Ah...the dentist~

1 comment:

  1. I have a wonderful dentist in Huntsville....he never hurts me but I still hate to go. Mainly because of the dentist I went to as a child. Thank goodness for fluorodated water...it has made the next generations teeth much stronger.

    ReplyDelete