Friday, June 18, 2010

Summer Vacation - Day 1

Hello,
What did I do today? Absolutely nothing!! Today was my first official day of summer. I went to the grocery store last night for eggs to use for baking, and I came home with eggs and a pound of bacon. That bacon was to be my celebration on the first day of summer. Yes, I have high cholesterol and should not be eating bacon, but I splurged for a day. What else did I have for breakfast? Coffee and a piece of bread...Now wasn't that a healthy breakfast!! I should not admit how many pieces of bacon I ate, so I won't!!
I also bought some raw peanuts and boiled them. A man at the store told me that his secret is to put a bit of butter in them, so I tried that. It made them taste good, but I think I will just stick to putting salt in and nothing else. I ate a lot of boiled peanuts last night and some this morning.
Whew, I think I have had enough now.
Tomorrow, I must write some on my dissertaion. My advisor is rather put out with me, I do believe. I have done nothing all year. I was sick a lot during the year, including two hospital stays, school was not so great, and I just had no energy or interest in doing anything studious. Well, that has got to stop, and I must get busy writing - or I will be in big trouble.
So, what else did I do on my first day of vacation? I actually watched the Young and the Restless on television at its regular time rather than on the internet at 6:30 p.m.! That was a treat in itself. The characters of the Foster family came back on this week: Snapper (aka David Hasselhoff), their mother, and Greg (aka Wings Hauser). The family was reunited to be together furing their mother's final moments on this earth and to learn who Jill's real family is. (She found out a few years ago that she was adopted, you see). We will find out Monday about her real family, I suppose...CLIFFHANGER!!!!
So, I helped myself to a day of nothing, and it sure was fun. A friend of mine called a little while ago to invite me to a showing of a new movie about John Wesley. It is only here in Savannah for one show, and since we are Methodist, she thought it would be fun to see it. John Wesley started Methodism here in Savannah, Georgia, by the way. June Lockhart is playing Susannah Wesley (his mother), and it will be good to see her onscreen again. Do you remember her in Lost in Space? I will let you know how it is. The movie is showing at an old, historic theatre downtown, called the Lucas, that has been redone, and it is right down the street from a famous Savannah ice cream shop called Leopold's. Maybe we will stop by for ice cream afterwards! So, my first day of summer vacation will end with a nice movie and a good scoop of ice cream! This is turning out to be a great first day of summer vacation!!

No comments:

Post a Comment