Saturday, June 26, 2010

A Saturday Ride

I spent a wonderful day with my daughter, Rachel, today. She came over early this morning and made pancakes. Then, we visited with my dad. I thought it would be nice to take a ride, so off we went. We traveled around downtown and on River Street. We stopped at a little teahouse called The Whimsical Teacup, but there was a baby shower going on in there. The sign said "Open", but there was only one table left open for regular customers. I wanted to stay anyway, but Rachel didn't want to stay. It would have been really crowded when everyone got in there I suppose. So, we left and were going to try Japanese at Hiranho's. That little place was already closed, so we ate at the little cafe next to that restaurant called Clary's and enjoyed our big club sandwiches. Then, we drove out through Isle of Hope, a really pretty part of Savannah. Rachel worked at the Methodist church there for two summers, so she knew her way around the area. When riding around out there, you can see the old South like what you read about in books by Eugenia Price, like the hanging down trees with Spanish moss, the big white houses with big front porches, and of course - the water. I enjoy just riding around that area, as it gives one a sense of calm. After we came home, Rachel watched the World Cup soccer game for a while before going back to her house. Rachel is the most terrific daughter in the world!
I finally finished a cake for my nephew's 14th birthday party. I attempted to make a softball. The pan is in two parts, and I haven't had much luck with three dimensional cakes, but this one worked out okay. I made a football cake for his 8th grade graduation, and I thought a baseball would do the trick for tomorrow. He plays baseball every spring. The cake turned out nice, but the red lines for stitches gave me a fit! I will put a few views of it here.



Yesterday,I attempted to make some pimento cheese spread. It tasted good, but I ate too much of it. The next time I make it, I better not eat all of it!
I took a break for a few hours to make that baseball cake. Now, I can't find my remote control!! What in the world did we do without those things? I am watching a recording of a musical that I was in back in 1995. I am watching it for the second time, actually. I really enjoy doing theatre, but I haven't done anything in quite a few years. Maybe I will get back into it soon. This play that I am watching is called "Working". It is about all sorts of jobs that people have. We all played multiple roles, and it was really fun. This is the first play of mine that I have ever been able to watch. I have never seen myself perform before, so watching this play is a real treat. Also, it brings back memories of all the people I got to know back then. Wow, fifteen years really makes a difference in your life. That time has passed by so quickly. Now, I would be scared that I couldn't remember any lines! I really miss doing theatre. Now that my children are grown and out of the house, maybe I should find a play to try out for and enjoy. I have taken a long enough break, I do believe!
So, I have had a good Saturday. I need to get in that kitchen and clean up all of the 'stray' icing that has found its way to the floor or all over table. Ha! I have quite a bit of washing up to do, so I better get at it!

2 comments:

  1. Enjoying your blog....cake looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a great Saturday! I will have to see Isle of Hope next time i am there...sounds gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete