Tuesday, March 10, 2020

Cakes

Cake decorating is a hobby of mine. My cakes are just for my family, though. Baking has always been fun for me. Chocolate chip cookies were my favorite things to make as a young person. Then, I started baking cakes. At first, the decorating was just a layer of icing and maybe an attempt at 'writing' happy birthday. Then, I found things to put on top of the cake. I finally started trying to make trim around the cakes. After many years of messes and triumphs, I decided to take a course at Michael's. Wow! I really learned a lot. The class was so much fun that I took all of the courses that Michael's offered. I especially enjoyed the one on making flowers. I loved that class, because Pansies were one of the featured decorations that we were taught. You know how I love Pansies!  This new skill allowed me to make a really nice cake for my aunt's birthday. I even used fondant on that one. I must say that her Pansy birthday cake is the prettiest cake that I have ever made. I have been searching my computer for pictures of some of my cakes. The thing about snapping so many digital pictures is that you never print them anymore!  I have many on disks from cameras that are still on the disks. I have more than that on phones that have never been printed. There are too many now to print!  So, I found some of the better cake designs and will share them in this post. I will spare you the ones that didn't turn out so well! Ha!
     
This picture is the only one that I could find of my Pansy cake. I know that I have more pictures of this cake. It was so pretty!



I made these two cakes for my daughter's first baby shower. The colors are not showing up too well. The pinks and yellows were brighter. I love the baby carriage. The words say,  "It's a girl!"




The rocking horse was fun 
to make. You can't tell in the
picture, but the mane was made
to look like real horse hair!





I really enjoyed making this cake. It was for Dora's second birthday. She had a cowgirl theme. The cake design has sunflowers and cow type patches made out of fondant. I also put black fondant on the white fondant name, so it would look like a cow pattern. Then, I twisted some brown fondant into a lasso for the trim around each layer. There is a glass cowboy boot on top, with yellow fondant stars.   
  
This cake was made for my son, when he graduated with a degree in Marine Science. He loves to go fishing! There is a diploma and a cap at the top. Then, I added the sleeping fisherman in the boat. Can you see the brown hat in the boat? He is asleep! haha I thought that was a funny touch to show that he was missing all of those fish!! I even used real string as the fishing line.



                                           
I made two cakes for the graduation. One was to represent his degree, and this one is a graduate. I put the colors of his college on there and added his honors tassels. 







My daughter asked for cupcakes one year, for my granddaughter's birthday. At that time, Maya the Bee was a favorite cartoon to watch around here, So, I made a bunch of little bumblebees to go on the cupcakes! They were fun to make. 








Here is a pirate and his pirate ship!  I enjoyed making these.

 This cake was made for Dora's baptism. I made the baptismal gown out of little white pearls. That part of the decoration took a very long time, because each bead had to be placed individually. A lot of them rolled off onto the floor! Ha! I also put shiny flakes all over the top of the cake, along with beads.  Her name has beads and sparkles inside of it.



This cake was made for my niece. It is supposed to show a tye-dyed effect.















 The airplane from the Disney movie was for my nephew. 







This car is from the Disney movie about Cars.









Here is a doll cake. It wasn't too hard to make.
ThPurple guitar just for fun



Toga Party time! 50th birthday cake for my brother.




 Easter Bunny
Violin and music notes. There is even a bow!

 I made this cake for myself. It was one of the first times that I tried making letters out of fondant. 


Fourth of July!!












These pictures are just of some of the cakes I have made over the years. There are many more pictures that I haven't yet found. I hope you enjoyed looking at them. 

2 comments:

  1. the cake you made for Mama G was so beautiful and delicious too. Often decorated cakes do not taste too good but yours are always delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! I loved making that cake. It is my prettiest one.

    ReplyDelete