Sunday, April 28, 2013

A Saturday Afternoon

I had a nice Saturday. First, I got up rather early...crazy for a Saturday.
Then, I decided to go visit my brand new grandniece. Yes, I am now a Great Aunt. That title makes me feel old. Being a grandma doesn't make me feel old, but being a Great Aunt does! haha
I visited for a while, and then came home. My friend had called me earlier in the day, and she wanted to take me out for my graduation. First, we went to "the big park", which is what our family has always called Forsyth Park, which is downtown. Savannah College of Art and Design had their yearly Sidewalk Chalk Art competition yesterday. Cathy is a graduate of "SCAD", and she had her work displayed one year. Cathy is a portrait artist, and she is really good, too. She said that she had drawn a picture of herself looking in the mirror at herself as she was creating the art. That sounds really interesting. She had a mirror on the sidewalk to look at herself as she drew. My brother has a sketch that she made of little Julia, and it is remarkable. The park was full of people, and the day was beautiful. Luckily, it didn't rain and wash away the art! Many times, the rain pours down on it. This year is the first time that I have seen the actual work before it faded, or washed, away, and I really enjoyed it. After seeing all of the art, we went to the Firefly Cafe for supper. I had never been there, but I have heard a lot about it. This cafe is downtown in a small basement type of setting. The food was terrific, and I had my first taste of cous cous! I had a delicious Southwestern Chicken and Cheese soup and a Pork Loin stuffed with goat cheese, walnuts, and basil, and some asparagus. Cathy had a delicious chicken dish, with cous cous and vegetables. YUM! Thanks, Cathy!! I had a terrific day, and I didn't even worry about all of my responsibilities at home. That, my dear friends, is an epic wonder!!
So, I am here today waiting for this afternoon when my roast will be finished and my gravy will be ready to put on the rice I will cook. I will also cook some of the fresh vegetables that Daddy bought yesterday. Let me tell you something. Daddy went out by himself yesterday in his truck on a trip to the base. He shouldn't have done that, but he did! At 91 years of age, he is determined to keep on keeping on! Although we discourage him from driving, he took off on his own yesterday without anyone knowing it. I was out visiting the grandniece, so I wasn't aware that he did that. Well, he came home safe and sound, so I guess it is okay...just this once! haha
I will go for now. I just wanted to write about my wonderful day that I had, thanks to my friend, Cathy!!

Have a great Sunday!

No comments:

Post a Comment