Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Rutabega Bug

I have gotten into the habit of cooking fresh vegetables lately. Daddy always buys them: squash, zucchini, onions, potatoes, and whatever is fresh. Anyway, my mamma always loved rutabegas. I ate some one time, and I kind of liked them. I never tried cooking one, though, until last week. Boy, those things are hard to cut!! They are so hard, almost like a rock...Anyway, I cooked my first one, and it was mighty tasty. I invited my cousin, Mina over for Sunday dinner, because she loves rutabegas, too! My son, Adam, decided that he likes them now. Daddy likes them, too, so I bought another one the other day. The sun was shining so nicely this afternoon, that I took my "bigger" rutabega outside, sat in a chair, and started peeling and cutting. It took me a while, because it is so 'hard' (like I already said), but it smells pretty good right now! Well, good isn't exactly the right term. Rutabegas do not smell 'good', or sweet, or anything like that, but they do have an enticing aroma. So, my chicken is baked, the fresh corn on the cob is almost done, and my fresh-right out of the garden-cabbage is just about ready. Rachel's mother in law gave me fresh lettuce and a fresh head of cabbage that a friend of hers had given her, fresh from the garden, so I've been eating lettuce for lunch, and I'm having cabbage for supper!
The days are getting to be very nice lately, and I just do not like to be stuck inside. My new school is all in one building, and I do not get outside any during the day. When I get home, I go straight to the kitchen to cook, so I don't get outside in the afternoon, either. I do not like that, Sam I Am!! So, I decided to sit ouside and "peel and cut" today.  I have been remembering that we all used to sit out on the front porch a lot. I see people on their front porches downtown and different places. I suppose we sat on the porch in order to be outside. I remember snapping beans on the porch and things like that. I still see older people or people who have no means of transportation sitting on their porches. Back in the day, if you pardon that much used expression, people didn't run the the mall every second or to the store or wherever, they stayed home and had family time. Much of family time was preparing dinner, 'snapping beans', or doing simple things like that around the house! I miss those simple days very much! 
So, my new way to be outside will be to go into my backyard and sit for a while. I wish I had a swing to sit in, like we used to have on our front porch. That would just make my day! Maybe I can get one and find a frame to put in on. I bought a swing once to put on my glassed in porch, but the swing was too big. I think that my next purchase will be a swing. There, I said it, so now I need to make sure that I get it done!  I love being outside. Now that I am not studying anymore, I am going to spend a lot more time just sitting outside and enjoying the simple time of just...sitting outside!!
Have a great day!!

1 comment:

  1. Sorry but just the smell of rutabagas make me gag!! I do remember Mama G fixing them but we never ate them in north Ga. We ate beets...well some people did anyway!:) Hope you find a swing!!

    ReplyDelete