Monday, December 7, 2009

Pecans, Pecans!!

The time is here...Pecans in Savannah!! All of the trees are dropping pecans all over the place. There are people in our neighborhood who come with all sorts of bags in which to store all the pecans they pick up from our yards. We try to get there first, but many locals know where the biggest pecan trees are. There is one in the yard behind me, so my backyard is full of them. The lane behind my house is really full of them. I have a small tree in my backyard and one in the front yard. These trees are putting out small pecans, but not the ones that are really ripe enough to eat. I saw a car parked by my garage Saturday, and it was someone getting pecans that had fallen up against the garage. I guess that means I won't be getting any of those!! There is a big, big pecan tree across the street, and we get them from over there, also. Vicky got a huge bag from across the street the other day. She is planning on making Christmas presents with them. Kate is planning on making pecan pralines. We should have a good bit of great pecan treats this Christmas. My mamma used to love to shell the pecans. Last year, which was her last year with us, she cracked pecans all day long. She could sit in her wheelchair at the dining room table, look out the window at the traffic going by, and shell pecans. There were a lot of them, too. Mamma enjoyed that so very much. My Granna used to like to look out of the window, too. They didn't get to go out during their last bit of time with us on this earth, but they both loved to watch people.

Pecans, we have tons of them. They taste delicious, too. Why buy them in the store for a ton of money, when you can just take a brief walk around the house and pick them up?? Pecans....YUM!!

1 comment:

  1. wish I could come and pick some up...nothing like fresh pecans.

    ReplyDelete