Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Burning things in the Kitchen!!

My oh my!!!! I almost burned the house down this week, a couple of times!
I do not know why I have been so forgetful about things on the stove or in the oven lately. A few weeks ago, I burned a whole pot of black eyed peas! Man oh man did the house smell! Then last week, I left a cake in the oven ALL NIGHT! I really do not know how the house survived without a fire on that one. I got up the next morning and the stove said, Hot, and I saw that the oven lights said "End", so the stove must have turned itself off somehow. It was hot, though. The cake was black as it could be. It looked like a chocolate cake, but it was supposed to be a homemade sponge/pound cake. I just got that pan cleaned today. I did not even smell the burn, because my nose was so stuffed up! Monday, I put some eggs in a pot to boil at 11:19. I know the exact time, because I was going to the doctor at 12, and when I put the eggs on, I looked at the clock thinking the eggs would be done before I had to leave. I left at 11:45. At 1:52, I was in Walgreen's waiting at the counter to check out. All of a sudden, I remembered the EGGS!! What on earth was I thinking?? I left the medicine on the counter and went outside to my car to get my phone. I tried calling Daddy's house, but kept getting the dreaded sound - na na na na - you know, the one that means no connection!! So, I jumped in the car to drive home (just down the street). Once I got in the car, I called again and got my sister to go to my house and check the stove. I arrived at the house right after she did. Sure enough, the eggs were black and stuck to the pot. The house was FULL of smoke, and it smelled awful. The house had just gotten over the burned smell from the cake! Oh well, at least the stove had not caught on fire, the pot was not on fire, and the smoke had not ruined anything in the house. What on earth is wrong with me?? I am getting more and more forgetful as the days go on. I usually burn cheese toast in the mornings, because I get so busy getting ready for work that I forget about it. So, I quit making cheese toast. I do not know what to do about this cooking forgetfulness, unless I just remain in the kitchen while things cook. Even then, though, I do not remember things are cooking! My mind races a mile a minute, and I think I must have ADHD, like the kids I teach! haha! Seriously though, I am working on this problem. I have some chicken in the oven right now, so I am checking it continuously. Having sinus problems, a stuffy nose, and allergies has not helped the situation. Why, you ask?? The answer is: Because I can't smell the stuff cooking OR burning!! haha
Well, I hope I have better luck with my supper tonight.
Talk to you guys later!!

2 comments:

  1. We will have to get you a timer that buzzes really loud. I have to use the timer on my stove so I do not forget to turn things off. I guess we are getting old!

    ReplyDelete
  2. make sure you have good smoke alarms!!!

    ReplyDelete