Friday, February 12, 2010

Home again

Hi,
I am home from my trip to Florida. After reading my last blog just now, I saw a lot of typographical errors that I made. I think that each time the train jolted or something, I hit the wrong key. It is hard to type on those little phone keyboards. Sometimes, the phone makes words that you don't really mean to type. It has a thing that puts up a word that it thinks you are going to write, and sometimes the phone's word gets written. Does that make sense??
I had a great trip and a great visit with my old friends. The second train ride was much better, and the bathrooms were clean! My seat partner was an older gentleman who had been visiting his sister in Florida. He is a World War II veteran and is retired from the Air Force. He was a joy to be with on the long trip home. He said that I was a much better passenger than the person who rode next to him going down to Florida. He said a really big 300 pound guy was sitting next to him and was fast asleep with his legs all sprawled out. The poor little man didn't have any room to sit, and he wouldn't ask for a change of seats. He was a tiny little man, too. The train is very spacious, seatwise, so this other guy must have really been big. I was pleasantly surprised at how much room you have in your seat and around your seat. It is much better than the teeny weeny space you have on a plane. The price was excellent, too! I think I have found my new mode of transportation, especially since I cannot drive by myself anywhere now. My blindness is just too bad now, and I get really scared of traffic coming in and out. I think it is much safer to get on a train and let someone else do the driving. Besides that, you don't have to worry about the traffic or traffic jams!! Well, Monday a lot of the trains were not running up north, because of the snow. Savannah was as far north as the trains were going that day. All of the airlines have been cancelling their flights, too. I suppose that if you were driving, you would have to stop a lot or get into a lot of terrible snow traffic and closed roads. So, the train is a good deal!!

My friends and I posed in one of those things that has a place for your head to stick out. This particular one had three holes. One was way down on the ground (mine), one was way up high (Dawn's), and one was right in the middle (Linda's). We got a couple of people to take our picture, and we thought it would be good to post on facebook. Then, none of us looked good in the same pictures, so Dawn cropped pictures from a couple of different takes and put them on facebook individually.

Spangdahlem, Germany - Summer 1971 - Three young teenage girls say good-bye as two of them go back to the states, and one remains in Germany another year. Fast forward to Orlando, Florida - February 2010 - Three teenage girls, all grown up, meet once again. It has been a long, long time since we three were together. It is a marvelous happening that we are able to meet each other again and be with each other as if time stood still. You wouldn't know that we had not seen each other in almost 40 years. We look different, but the same. We sound different, but the same. We have all been through a lot of things. Many parallel things have happened in our lives over the years. We still have a lot in common, and we are still good friends. What a wonderful, magical, mystical time we had. I love you both, Dawn and Linda. Thanks for the friendship, and thanks for the magnificent weekend of memories and sillies!!

2 comments:

  1. It is great that you all have been friends for so long! i dont know what i would do without my girlfriends!!!

    ReplyDelete