Saturday, January 2, 2010

Christmas, the Biltmore, and New Year's Day

<
Hi,
I have some decent pictures now to put up. I borrowed Rachel's camera to take some of my house, and I am going to use some of her pictures, as well. We had a terrific Christmas. The day was peaceful and calm.



Rachel gave me the gift of a trip to see the Biltmore Estate in Asheville, North Carolina. The trip was fun, especially the part about being with Rachel! The house is called the biggest house in America. I can understand the true meaning now of, "You can't take it with you." The Vanderbilts wanted a house to remind you of a European castle, and they succeeded in doing that. This picture is of Rachel and I in front of the house.



From what I understand, the man's life was spent getting all of the things built and installed in the home. Mr. Vanderbilt was a very generous person, though. Each of his servants had their own room. These rooms are about the size of a normal bedroom in one of today's houses! He and his wife were very generous to their staff and their families. I was impressed at how much of their wealth they shared with others. The library is enormous and filled from ceiling to floor, wall to wall, with books! Each bedroom is huge. There were many guest bedrooms which were always filled with visitors. The Vanderbilts loved to entertain, so this outrageously large house must have been full of people and hustle and bustle at all times.

New Year's Day was a busy one for me. I cooked and cooked for the whole family. I finally got to make my Christmas train cake. Little Julia had a great time helping me make the train track and decorating the little train cars.
The cake turned out well, too. Here is a picture of Julia making the train track!















Little Fella, Dewey III, got to get into the act as well. He came over to me and wanted to get in my lap, so I had Julia on one side and 3D on the other side! It was really fun!



I don't have a good picture of the final product, because my camera was acting up. I will get some from Susan's camera to put on here very soon. Rebecca and Lauren finally got there, and they put some finishing touches on the cakes. I also had some little gingerbread men cakes, and they got to decorate those. We had a great dinner and a wonderful time together.

I stopped at Michael's today and signed up for Course 3 of cake decorating. The first session is Monday night. This course will be all about using fondant. I hope to learn a lot of new things, and I am very excited. This course will be at Michael's, which is much closer to me than AC Moore, where I took course number 2! I hope to have some pretty things to post when I finish that class.
When I started this post, I had a lot to say. I received a phone call from a good friend that lasted over an hour, so I forgot what I was going to write! So, I will post some pictures and write more at another time.
Happy New Year!

No comments:

Post a Comment