Friday, October 9, 2009

The Bathroom is Finished!!















I will attempt to put pictures in here, so that they appear in order. Arlene says that the first picture has to be the last picture entered. I always do it in a crazy, mixed up, long way by copying and pasting. I am going to try it a new way. Perhaps I should put all of the pictures in first, and then I could write what I have to say about them. I have been trying to download quite a few on Picassa since last night. I ran out of online disc space, so all of the pictures couldn't get downloaded. I decided to buy more space, in order to have more room. They are still running as I type! By the time that I am ready to finish this blog, I am sure they will all be downloaded.
A few hours later...the pictures are downloaded, and now I will try to do what I have been waiting to do for over a week ~ show you my bathroom from start to finish!!
Here I go! Well, they won't come from Picassa, so I have to get them on my computer somehow. THAT took me a while to figure out. I think I have it now. Seriously folks, I have been working on all of this since 4 pm. It is now 10:30, and I am still not finished.
Well, it doesn't work ~ I'm trying to get them from Picassa web albums, but that isn't happening. I have been working on all of this for HOURS! I even tried to 'self clean' the oven while downloading pictures. That was a disaster, because it sets itself for four HOURS not minutes. It took me forever to figure out how to get the door unlocked. I finally found the manual, and it said that the door would open when it was cooled off. Well, I was supposed to be baking a cake for 3D's first birthday tomorrow, so I panicked. I had already mixed it up and put it in the pan. (like the song goes, I can bring home the bacon....fry it up in a pan). I digress....sometimes I think my students' ADD traits are rubbing off on me.
Now, the house smells like burnt oven cleaning stuff AND oil based paint from the hall and bathroom! Oh well. I am trying to do a lot of things all at once, and it is crazy around here as usual.
(a while later)
I feel like I just gave stage directions!
I finally got the cake baked. I just took it out of the oven. After the stove cooled off, I was able to put the cake in. Now, I am DETERMINED to get this blog written!

SO, the saga started last Monday, and this is the next Friday! The guys worked on the bathroom for days and days. Here are a few shots of the bathroom as it has been for oh so long. As Amelia says, please don't judge me. I just couldn't get it done any sooner. Construction is expensive. I do feel better, though, without all of that mold and rotten wood, etc. The first three pictures are of the tub.
















Here are some pictures of the wonderful floor, with most of the tiles out and the floor a rotten mess!














When I got home the first day, the floor had been torn completely out. If you look closely, you can tell that what you are seeing is "THE GROUND". You can also see Rachel checking on the work and taking pictures!



(I am not sure why this next stuff is in blue and underlined. There is no telling what key I hit while I was doing my copying and pasting!! I will just have to leave it like this, because I do NOT know what HAPPENED!
I think I have been smelling too many fumes!!

Oh well, back to the saga...)

The tub was out, the walls were torn down, etc. Well, when you look at the before picture, you can see why. The holes in the wall had created lots of rotted wood. The floors were rotted out, etc., etc. So, the room was pretty much gutted.
Alan, the boss guy, said that they could put a new toilet in the bedroom where we took one out, or they cut tear out the wall in the bathroom and make the room bigger. I opted for that. Little did I realize that plaster dust was going to be EVERYWHERE after that. The two young guys who were working had quite a fun time tearing out that wall, hammering and pulling and knocking things out! Adam would have loved doing that! The dust was not apparent until the next day. Boy, oh boy was there a lot of it! It had all settled in overnight. A lot of it is still here, because I haven't had time to clean it up! They worked on the room for 8 days. I asked the guy Monday to please get the toilet in, because I had to leave very early the next day for a faculty meeting. Also, the next day was my birthday, and I wanted to at least have the toilet in. The tub had been in since the second day, but I couldn't use it, because he hadn't put up the shower curtain rod. So, he said he would get that in for me, too. Thank you! No more running across the street to Daddy's house for a shower and the facilities! On Wednesday, I finally had a finished bathroom. The tub is nice and clean (except for little cat pawprints every now and then), the floor is solid, the toilet stays still (rather than rock and roll, fall backwards, and almost make you fall down), and it looks pretty nice. The floor was so messed up that the toilet couldn't stay hooked down! My old, old house has settled so much, that the floors were NOT even. They tried to help that out a bit by 'jacking' up the house. When they jacked up the house, some of the plaster walls cracked big time. So, they put sheetrock up and fixed and painted the hallway and trim. They even fixed my bedroom doors that were messed up! That is why the house smells of oil based paint and stuff, though. They put it on the doors and the trim. Whew! I could smell that stuff all the way outside at my car Wednesday when I came home! It was pretty strong. It still smells, but not as bad.





I do believe I am going to just leave the rest of the pictures as they are. You can see the various progress that was done. I put them all in at once, and now I am getting tired of toggling back and forth between pages, pictures, etc. I have been copying and pasting, just like usual, so my new little inserting trick didn't really work very well. SO, you can just peruse the pictures and see the progress as it happened. A lot of work was done in a pretty short amount of time, really. The holes in the ceiling were made when they tore out the extra wall. I forgot to mention the new floor. I picked out big tiles in an Arizona sand color. The first pictures of the floor are of it the first day, with the little space holders in between the tiles. The walls are Yellow Buttered Corn, or Buttered Yellow Corn. Does it look like buttered corn?
You can see that this house is very old house by looking at the big wooden beams and stuff. They don't make beams like those anymore. You are lucky to get a little 2x4, much less a heavy, strong beam like in these houses. My house was built in 1929!! Anyway, I wanted to put the pictures up in order, but I seem to have gotten off track. Like I said, the fumes are getting to me! I have to make a bunch of icing for the birthday cake, too. I made a rocking horse. They bought him a giraffe, but I don't have a giraffe pan. I am going to use the colors on the giraffe and put them on the horse. I hope it turns out okay.
I am freezing myself out of the house right now, because I have the air on really low to try and get the smells out of here!! Hopefully, the fumes will dissipate in a few days. They are already much better than they were!
Here are the rest of the pictures.





















It is 11:25 p.m., and I am really tired and hungry. I think I have corrected all of my typos. I cannot figure out how to get the hyperlink off, because I do not know how it got on in the first place. Sorry about that. There is a whole section that is hyperlinked. As you read that part, you may see lines under the words and colors changing. The time stamp is incorrect on this blog, also. I need to figure out how to fix that. I did it once, so I should be able to fix it again!
I am just tired and goofy from paint fumes, so I will call it a night! I just hit some crazy keys, so I don't know what I just did to the rest of this blog.
Have a great night!

Before and after, what a difference!!





a

1 comment:

  1. It looks great...lots of work in such a short amount of time.

    ReplyDelete