Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Summer of 1980

The summer of 1980 was full of babies. My cousins, Arlene and Marvin, had a beautiful baby girl in July named Amelia, and my friends Laura and Becky both had sons. When I think upon these births, I am pleased and happy for them all. These children help me to remember a time long ago when we were all so young and positive about the future and what it might hold for us. Speaking for myself, I guess I never thought about when all of these babies would be grown up and be the age that all of us were at that time! When I think about this fact, I just wonder where the time has gone. I seem to live in a time warp! I don't know why, but I feel like time stood still at a certain point in my life. Perhaps this is why so many people opt for face lifts and tummy tucks. They are all trying to regain their youth. I don't want to go back to the mistakes and other events of my youth. I am enjoying every minute of aging. AGING?? Did I say aging?? I sound like I am 100 years old or something! Well, I am halfway there, anyway. haha The little kids at school always ask me, "Why is your hair white and brown?" I tell them that when you get older your hair changes color! Some of them get it, but most of them don't. HA! When my hair is in a ponytail or put up, all you see is the gray/white hair on the side and bangs. When my hair is down, you see mostly brown, with white/gray on the edges. The children just don't understand this. They even call to me on the sidewalk and ask me that. I am not kidding. It happened just the other day. A little kid in line on the sidewalk yelled out, "Mrs. Hedgecoth, why is your hair white and brown?" ~~REALLY~~ HE DID!! Usually, it is my own students in my classroom that will ask me that. I tell them that my hair had white streaks in the bangs when I was 16 years old, which is a true fact. Oh well. I like my streak of white. My brother and my cousin Marvin have the same streak. Well, we three have lost our streak now, and that streak has increased to many streaks put together across our heads! HA! HA! I think Marvin and William's hair has the most white in it, and I still have a lot of brown. Oh well. Theirs is much shorter than mine, so I have more brown left in my 'long locks' from a while ago than they do! Anyway, back to the summer of 1980. The children of this year have grown up and become wonderful adults. I wish them all the best of luck and terrific futures!

No comments:

Post a Comment