Sunday, January 8, 2012

Gone A Visitin'

The art, or practice, of going visiting seems to have gone by the wayside (along with many other 'old' traditions). My cousin called me up yesterday morning and asked me if I would like to drive to Sylvania to see some of our older cousins. My mamma and aunt have some first cousins who still live in the "country" town of Sylvania, GA. Since both of our mammas are gone now, it is up to us to keep up the family connections. There is a family reunion during the first weekend in December, but we have missed the last two and haven't seen this part of the family in a while. Anyway, we went visiting yesterday. I remember going visiting very fondly. We used to go to visit relatives or family friends on a Sunday afteroon, or we might just take a nice drive on a Sunday afternoon. Nobody visits anybody anymore. I am not sure why, but this practice has gone out of style. I suppose it could be the busy lifestyle that everyone leads that keeps us from doing this. It could be that people just do not want other people in their homes anymore. Whatever the reason, it is a lost art. My mamma and my aunt were the only children that my grandmother had. Her sister, however, had eight children. Of the eight, only three are still living. Mina and I visited those three yesterday, and all three of them were so very excited that we came! The day was so bright and pretty, and the weather was perfect for being out and about. We had a terrific day just mosying down the highway and stopping by for a chat without having to worry about hurrying or anything like that. It was a nice, calm, peaceful, and relaxing day. When we got back to Savannah, we stopped at my daughter's house. She had called me up and asked me to stop by to see all of the baby gifts she had gotten at her baby shower the night before. She found a neat way to decorate a wall in the baby's room with letters of the alphabet. Each person invited to the party was assigned a letter to bring. So, she has all sorts of letters, different sizes, shapes, colors, etc. Most of the people decorated their letter, so each letter is distinctly different. Rachel also cooked dinner for us. Her mother in law and a friend stopped by, also, so we all had a nice little visit. This was a nice way to round off a very pleasant day. So the next time you need something fun to do, just Go A Visiting!!!!!!

1 comment: