Wednesday, May 25, 2011

My Dogs

Lady and Page are my two dogs. Lady is an Old English Sheepdog that I got from a rescue place. She had been rescued from a Puppy Mill. Lady is a sweetheart, but she gets really matted when I let her fur grow out! Page is my Golden Retriever. I got her from someone at school. She is a sweetheart, too. Both dogs have very good dispositions, and they are perfect for families with children.
Lady had gotten so matted that she was just in a mess. I felt ashamed to take her to get sheared, and she just kept getting worse and worse. Little did I know...when you bathe a sheepdog...the mats get worse!! Finally, I splurged and bought an expensive shear-er/shaver, and Rachel set out to work. She worked a long time on Sunday, but we only scratched the surface. The bad sections on the back end were taken off, though, and those were the main culprits. Monday, Rachel came back over and did some more. The ears and feet were the only parts left with mats. I went to the vet yesterday,with both dogs, to get their overdue shots. The young man at the vet cut the ears for me :) Then, I attempted to shear Page, the golden. She was easier than the sheepdog, as her fur was not matted up. The vet said it would be a good idea to cut her fur to keep her from being so hot. Savannah weather is awful in the spring and summer. She is not perfect looking, but I tried. I also attempted to get more done on the sheepdog. She is looking better, although there are still spots on her face and legs that need attention. So, that is how I spent the last few days...dog shearing!! In my research on shearing sheepdogs, I found that the farmers used to shear the dogs at the same time as they sheared the sheep! I had no idea that she would get so bad. I have had long haired dogs always, but none of them ever got like Lady. I have learned my lesson over the last two years that I have had her: Don't let the fur grow out! They look so pretty with it all grown out and combed, but it is hard to keep it combed out and UNmatted!
So, there are my two dogs. I will get a picture of them when I am finished to post.
Have a good day!

1 comment:

  1. After spending so much on Taffy's "hair dos" I decided I would never have a long haired dog again. IT is constant work to keep them without mats! I feel your pain!lol

    ReplyDelete