Sunday, October 24, 2010

Birthdays, Greek for a Day, and other stuff

October is month of birthdays. We start with mine and move on through the month to the 27th. I have made cakes for each one. Mine was a five layer heart cake that ended up being somewhat lopsided! Rachel let me have a party at her house on Sunday, and we went out to eat on my real birthday, on Wednesday. We ate at my Thai restaurant. I made a second cake that was a party hat, on my actual birthday. Then, the youngest hooper had his second birthday, for which I made Mickey Mouse and a Party Hat. Next on the list was my sister. Her cake was supposed to be in the shape of petals, but you couldn't really see the curves.I made little bumble bees to place all around the 'flower'. They turned out pretty cute. I saw this idea in a magazine, and I wanted to try them: yellow peanut M&M's, tootsie roll, and a clear spice drop.



Amy was next, and I tried to be like the pros on this one and 'cut' the actual shape. I made a four and a zero for her big 40. The four kept falling apart, but it held up long enough to get a good picture. haha It sounds like all the cakes were a flop, but they really turned out okay.
Daddy's birthday was this week, number 89. My niece, Kate, turned 22 on the 27th. She requested a red velvet cake. As a surprise, I made her cake in a Strawberry Shortcake pan. HA! Well, it was the color of Strawberry Shortcake, so.........there ya go! She liked it. There was a lot of detail work on that one. I took the day off on the 26th to be with Daddy and to prepare the big birthday dinner and the cakes. I made Daddy a red velvet cake, also, but I only used white icing. Daddy doesn't like colored icing, so I always leave his plain. We had a double celebration Tuesday night, and we all had a great time.
We have other birthdays this month, too. My cousins Marvin and Mina had their birthdays a day apart, on the 19th and 20th, in two different towns. Mina's is on the same day as my sister in law, Amy's. My young cousin Landon will be 2 on Kate's 22nd birthday. Those two will round out the month.

Also in October, there is a Greek Festival here in Savannah. I like to go just to get some Greek food. I cannot remember the names of all of it, but I like it! This year, I used my cell phone to take some pictures. I usually get there at dark and miss most of the dancing. This year, I got there around 3 and saw some of the dancers. I also went into the Greek Orthodox church and took some pictures.

The Sign



The dancers!





The entrance




The ceiling!




The church




My church does a special series of services in October called "God on Broadway". These services are inspired by the music and themes of famous musicals. This year, we have used South Pacific, Fiddler on the Roof, Big River, and The Music Man. Each service has been very special, and everyone in attendance has been greatly blessed. Next week, we will use Jekyll and Hyde. I am not sure what the service will be like, but I know it will be great. I do know that the choir is singing a song about wearing masks, so I am sure the sermon will be about something like that.
So...there is a list of things that have been going on around here. Lots of stuff is going on at school and elsewhere, but I will leave that for another time. Have a great day!

No comments:

Post a Comment