Tuesday, February 11, 2020

Watching Birds and Slowing Down to Smell the Roses!

Hello,
      A couple of weeks ago, I saw an amazing sight! My son was with me in my front yard. He looked up and said, "There is a Bald Eagle!!" Sure enough, there were TWO Bald Eagles flying over our neighborhood. We both looked up in amazement, as we saw the white heads of those awesome birds. Their head color was a tell-tale sign that they were indeed Bald Eagles!  My son said, "They are a mating pair flying home!" There are many Bald Eagles in my area, but I have never seen one flying in the air like that. My son  often sees them, when he is out in the ocean on his boat. They live high in the trees in some of the watery areas, on the islands around Savannah. Adam said that these two birds were probably flying back to their nest over by one of the parkways that lead to the island. I have never, ever seen a Bald Eagle in the wild. I have seen them in cages at a nature refuge, but not in the wild. This sight was amazing. They were just gliding through the air on their way home! 
     That same day, a big Hawk was flying over the houses in the neighborhood. I have noticed that Hawk a lot recently. This season must be the time for all birds to be making their nests for new life to arrive. Even in my backyard, there is a mating pair of Mockingbirds. We found their nest by accident. There are many vines that grow on my house and on my garage. We have been trying to take down some of the vines on the garage that have gotten really out of hand. Adam was working on one of these vines on this particular day, and he noticed a very flimsy nest that had been in some of the vines. I am hoping that it was an old one, and not the one that they had been making! Then, we saw two Mockingbirds hopping around in the backyard. They weren't even afraid of us! I saw one in the yard again yesterday, so they must be making a new nest somewhere.
     I have quite a few trees around my house, along with the vines. There is a Pecan tree in the backyard, and there are several Crepe Myrtle trees there. The squirrels always get to the pecans before they are ready to eat. I also have a Pecan tree in the front yard. Although this tree is around thirty years old, the pecans are not yet ready to eat. They are still in the young stage, as far as eating size. The pesky little squirrels get to them, eat a hole in the top, and throw them down on the ground!  So, we don't have many to even try to eat! As I ride my bike, I see many types of blooming trees. There are a lot of Tulip trees in the neighborhoods of Savannah. The pink blooms on these trees are beautiful!
     I have a porch full of Pansies and Violas right now. I love them! (The pesky squirrels like to hide their pecans in my planters, though!) Every now and then I go outside and see a big hole in a planter or two! Luckily, the flowers don't seem to mind, and they keep growing! My Daddy had a pretty red Rose bush at his house, and my son took a cutting from it. When Adam planted the Rose bush at my house, it outgrew and out-bloomed the original Rose bush! How about that! It is still in front of my house, waiting on its time to bloom again this year.
     So, retirement life is helping me to learn how to slow down and smell the roses, as the expression goes! It is taking me a while to truly enjoy not having to do anything, without feeling guilty. I don't know if I have Southern Guilt, or just plain Female Guilt about things. It is a habit that we Southern women seem to have. We always believe that we must be doing something for our family or for someone - ANYONE! ha! Is it a Southern thing? Oh well, whatever it is...I have it! 
     I took a nice long bike ride this morning, just to get out and about before it got too hot. Our weather is so crazy these days. It is winter cold one day, spring the next day, summer one day, and then it goes back to winter! My bike riding time has been adjusted to the weather! I got really hot on the ride today. As I was getting close to home, I noticed dark clouds looming in the sky that were not there when I started out! So, we must be expecting rain later today. Or, the weather may just be trying to fool us! Whatever the case may be, I suppose the clouds are the reason the air got so muggy during my ride.
     Savannah is known for having a lot of really smothering humidity, and some days can be really uncomfortable. However, I will take our weather over SNOW any day! I have lived with snow. Driving in the snow is not so fun. Being cold all the time is not so fun. Building snowmen, sledding with the children, and playing with snowballs are fun things to do. Those activities can be nice, for a day or so. Yes, snow is pretty to look at, for a day or so. After that, it is nice when the snow melts away! HA! Give me the beach, the sunshine, and the warmth any old day!  I love it!!
     So, go outside and watch the birds. Go outside and smell the flowers. I promise you that doing these things will make you feel good and give you a great start to your day!!

2 comments:

  1. There are some bald eagles in Guntersville Alabama. They nest there. I do not think I have ever seen one but I have seen lots of hawks in Chatsworth. We even have a blue heron that comes to our pond.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is how my friend Wesley Virgin's story starts with this SHOCKING and controversial VIDEO.

    You see, Wesley was in the army-and shortly after leaving-he revealed hidden, "MIND CONTROL" secrets that the government and others used to get whatever they want.

    As it turns out, these are the exact same SECRETS tons of famous people (especially those who "became famous out of nothing") and the greatest business people used to become rich and famous.

    You probably know that you only use 10% of your brain.

    That's really because the majority of your brainpower is UNCONSCIOUS.

    Perhaps this thought has even occurred INSIDE OF YOUR very own mind... as it did in my good friend Wesley Virgin's mind around 7 years back, while driving a non-registered, beat-up garbage bucket of a car without a driver's license and with $3.20 on his bank card.

    "I'm very fed up with going through life paycheck to paycheck! When will I finally succeed?"

    You took part in those thoughts, isn't it so?

    Your very own success story is going to be written. Go and take a leap of faith in YOURSELF.

    WATCH WESLEY SPEAK NOW

    ReplyDelete