Wednesday, July 16, 2014

Old Friends


 Dawn and Dewilla, friends since October 1968 when I moved to Spangdahlem, Germany
Daddy and Mamma came to the four of us one day to let us know we were moving again. We were living in Charleston, South Carolina at the time. I remember them saying, "We have a great birthday present for you. We are moving to Germany on your birthday!" Wow! My thirteenth birthday was going to be celebrated by a trip to GERMANY!
I met Dawn when I got to my new eighth grade class, and we have been friends ever since then. Mamma called us Mutt and Jeff, because Dawn is tall and I am short. Apparently, there was some sort of comedy team by that name in my Mamma's younger days, and she always used that expression to describe friends like us.
We were facing the sun for our pictures. Dawn had on sunglasses, so the sun didn't bother her eyes. My eyes were watering, and I was squinting, so Dawn fixed that. While we were waiting for Kent to snap the picture, she 'shaded' my eyes for me! HA!
Dawn and Kent came to see me this past weekend. Their visit was wonderful. She actually found a neat little restaurant online for us to visit that I never had heard of, and it is actually in my neighborhood! If you are ever in Savannah, try Joe's Homemade Cafe and Bakery. They have been named the number one caterer in Savannah, too. The place only seats ten people, but the food is terrific. We actually went there two days in a row! The first day was just the two of us. Then, we took Kent along the second day to get him all filled up with great food before their trip back home.
My daughter suggested we go to Pearle's Seafood Grille Sunday night, and it as wonderful. I do not eat seafood, so I had a really terrific chicken and pasta dish. Dawn had Rainbow Trout, and Kent had Salmon. They said their food was good, too. This resaurant is located right on the water, with a terrific view.  Dawn is of Greek heritage, so of course we had to go to the Olympia Cafe on River Street for supper one night! Wow! It was awesome. My whole family went to enjoy the great food. I was very surprised when Dawn started speaking in GREEK to the owner, when he came by our table for a little chat. I think he was impressed, too! He enjoyed talking to her. The food was great, but the company was even better.

 On Tuesday, we took a trip down to see the Tybee Lighthouse. Unfortunately, the place was closed. We couldn't get up close to it, but we got a lot of pictures of it in the background. The lighthouse is plenty big enough to be included in pictures from quite a distance away. We stood outside the gate for the pictures. You can see it from the beach, too, and get great pictures of it in the background.
  Then, we walked over to the actual beach for a couple of pictures.

Dawn got this great one of the sea oats.




I really enjoyed our visit! Thanks, Kent, for driving Dawn 'up' here to Savannah! You both are always so generous of your time and love. Thanks for being my 'old' friends.
Forever Friends!!!!!!





No comments:

Post a Comment