Sunday, July 27, 2014

Avocados, friends, and the end of summer

I was finally able to get together with a good friend of mine for lunch the other day. Cathy and I have been trying to find a time when we could meet for lunch all summer long, but many things have kept us from doing that. We went to a small litttle sandwich shop that is not far from my house. The people there are really nice and attentive to everyone. The food is good, too.
 It is always nice to get together with a good friend, whether it is for lunch, to go to the beach, or just to sit and talk.
My new granddaughter is doing great. She has grown two inches and gained almost two pounds since her birth four weeks ago! She and her big sister are the lights of my life!!
I found a 'new' food that I just love - the Avocado!  I was introduced to avocados when my first granddaughter started eating regular food, versus just breast milk. At the time, I didn't exactly crave them. I enjoyed their 'nutty' taste, but I didn't really buy them for myself.  This spring, I decided to try out the avocado again. I LOVE AVOCADOS!! I will eat a whole one in a minute!~ My son told me that an avocado is called a 'super food', so that made them even better!  After doing some research on avocados, I found out that they are really good for controlling cholesterol, so that is a big bonus. They taste good, AND they are food for you.  Some people think they have too much fat in them. Well, they have the good kind of fat, not the bad kind. I am going to post a neat link here to show you what I mean. 
We have only four more days of summer around here. We begin our school year this Friday. I think it is a bit strange to begin a year on a Friday! Then, the students arrive the next Thursday to begin their school year. That is a bit strange, too. Whatever happened to starting something new on a MONDAY??!!
I have not been to the beach this whole summer. Other than a quick trip to show my friends the lighthouse, I haven't driven to the ocean at all. Now that is a really strange happening!  Lots of things have been going on, though, and I just haven't been able to make it to the beach. 
I am looking forward to a new year in a new classroom. I am very excited to have a new room with BIG windows for the sunshine to enter the room. My classroom also has a door to the outside, so that my students can go right out onto the playground. I am really going to enjoy the bright sunshine this year. I believe that the sunlight is important for student emotions, attention spans, overall wellness, and cognitive functioning. So, I am gearing up for a successful, fun, energized, enjoyable year in kindergarten!!
As promised, here is the link to the wonders of the avocado!!
Happy "Avocadoing"!! haha

http://www.californiaavocado.com

No comments:

Post a Comment